Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/sites/375/b5a/www.tuonoworld.com/web/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tuono R Limited project
tuonoworld.com
July 19, 2019, 03:06:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   yes sir

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuono R Limited project  (Read 135139 times)
Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« on: May 15, 2013, 02:19:20 pm »

Hello again everyone.

I've decided to start a project thread to keep up a diary of the work I'll be carrying out on the bike, all in the one place as opposed to littering the forum. It's great come resale time as there is so much stuff that gets easily forgotten and it's nice for the provenance to keep up a photographic record. All comments are welcome good, bad or just plain fudding stupid!

I have been out of bikes for 16 years, during which time I've got married, bought a house and fathered two boys. My wife, who also has a full bike license is dead against a bike as is the rest of the family but after 16 years of complaining she finally gave in, subject to terms and conditions  talk024 talk024.

My Grandfather bought an ex race 2 stroke Omer motorbike for me and my sister when I was about 7. (I guess it was similar in size to a minimoto). He bought this from one of his cousins whose son used to race. Of course it didn't take long for me to be hooked on bikes from an early age and took even less time to discover that the reason I couldn't turn the throttle more than a few mm was because there was a screw blocking it from turning more. Soon enough the screwdriver came out and tata, more power! That was my unsupervised initiation into proper 'tinkering'.  big grin

My next bike at 14 for messing about in our grounds, was a Yamaha Biwizz CW50T;

Cracking little fat tyred moped. I had been working school holidays and started dabbling with motorbikes. I later bought 2 Suzuki TS50X bikes to muck around with;

One I kept for mucking about off road with friends, the other I stripped, had repainted and restored in Kawasaki green and blue and subsequently sold on, oh and a Tomos for a laugh. At 16 after working every holiday since 13, I bought a beautiful Aprilia AF1 50 Replica.

My first ride out on that is probably one of my most memorable life moments ever.

I took my full bike test at 16, even though I'd need to take the same test again later for a full license, it allowed me to junk the L plates and carry a pillion. This little cracker was good for an indicated 77mph!!

Next bike was an Aprilia RS125.

The chassis was light years ahead of anything else at the time and would run circles around bigger bikes at the time on twisty or bumpy roads althouh it was a massacre on smooth straights. The engine on this partially ceased the day after an indicated 135mph run so it was rebuilt as a 175cc and flew. I sold this for a faster car and haven't had a bike again until now.

The Tuono was advertised on ebay as a classified ad. After a bit of back and forward, hi res pictures and some bartering, we agreed on a price subject to the bike being as described and as per pics.

I put a £100 deposit on the bike unseen on Monday evening, 29th April. For one reason or another we couldn't arrange collection until the following bank holiday Monday 6th May. I didn't sleep much for the rest of the week, between scouring the internet and all sorts I was getting 2.5 hours sleep on some nights!

I'll update this thread with more pics etc as and when...

Cheers for now.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:01:49 am by Nito » Logged

Hyperthrust Cleared and Counting...
hector
Super Fud

Blow me !

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:20:36 pm »

Welcome mate, like the intro  so keep it up happy88
brooksy
Master Fud

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:58 am »

Next bike was an Aprilia RS125.

when you said mucking about the grounds I didn't realise you owned half of fookin Essex  laugh13
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:08:06 am by Yoozy » Logged
Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:16 am »

Thanks Hector, have now added some old pictures (had to scan them no digital cameras back then!)

So, back to the Tuono, the night I placed the deposit on the bike I had been over to my friend's brothers place as he has a 2004 Tuono which I wanted ot try out for size etc. Delighted with the riding position, I knew I was ok to proceed with the limited from this perspective.

I drove all the way up to Yorkshire with a friend 5.5hrs each way to pick it up, hoping the condition was going to be as envisaged. I knew there was paint peeling on the radiators and some scratches around the swingarm by the chain adjuster, I've since noticed that the worst scratch is from a paddock stand, although we really are talking fractional marks here, also the limited edition badge had some laquer peeling so I was expecting these items and they were as described.

On the whole however it was a very nice bike indeed, it wasn't cheap by any means and always in the back of my mind was that I could have a much much newer bike with less mileage for similar money and I'm a very fussy bugger when it comes to condition. This one is a 2002 with 10,800 miles on the clock. I'm a sucker for factory specials and there's something old school about this. When you add up the seperate cost of all the extras loaded on the bike and the exclusivity its easy to forgive it the few minor items where it show its age that can be easily remedied over time. A full service history and a comprehensive file of all of the old documentation and no signs of crash damage finish it off. The previous owner was a joy to deal with and although he didn't do many miles on it, there was a genuine reason for sale.

So here is the bike in transit, literally, in the back of a Transit ;)

On getting it home, all I've done so far is wash it, wax the frame, remove the rear hugger to deep clean the area around it and now its on a paddock stand awaiting further prep.

I need to keep these posts shorter, they get to a certain length and it's really difficult to type as the screen doesn't scroll down and keeps wanted to go back to the beginning PITA!!

I'll post some pics of the areas to address in the next post!

ps. Brooksy. - I was very fortunate, my parents had a stunning house with about an acre and a half of land, it was great fun growing up there, my friends pretty much lived there every weekend dicking about the with the bikes and the like. Very fond memories, unfortunately it was sold about a decade ago and has since been knocked down, it's now a barren plot of mud :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:57:38 am by Nito » Logged

snowman
Mega Fud

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:27:03 pm »

Well Nito you are one of the Keenest guys i have come across on many of the Ape sites, wish you all the luck m8 with your new ride and hope she's gunning around the countryside v/soon.  happy119

gen2 Factory, Full Akro baffles out, pazzo s/levers, Acossato Q/A throttle no3 the largest cam, A/P r/sets, K&N A/Filter ,Map2, Carbon f/Spktcover & shark fin lower and R&G sw/arm bobbins, 15/42 now!R&G bar ends, Brembo Oro discs , SBS Race Sinter pads In front,  Sbs excel in rear .
RSV
Super Fud

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »

Feckin ell!!! Nice size garden Nito.. happy88 Is that a swimming pool or a big feck off pond???

Keep up the good work on the bike, it will soon look as good as new...

If it's not free It's not for me!!!
Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »

Thanks Snowman. I've settled on this site as my preferred site, good technical content and easy going light hearted banter  happy88 I'm liking these fudders  eat4

Lol, My house is a bit more modest than that drool. That was my parent's house many years ago, before they divorced, sold etc. The pool was fantastic, it looked like a pond in the winter and a pool in the summer, was drained, cleaned and refilled every year! The last picture is at the previous owners gaff, in very beautiful settings.

Oh well, here goes some pics of the crappy bits;

Front radiator paint peeling; (ps. pic is not my gaff!!)

Swingarm paint damage (there are actually three areas that have marks - just need to touch them in with a properly matched paint) ps. that's just tyre changing solution on the wheels not marks. Might end up replacing axle nut with a titanium jobbie eventually.

Corroded levers and crappy bar ends, no idea why these aren't originals, first thought is it might have been over but if it has it must have been very minor as no evidence on the rest of the bike apart from one other area coming up next.

Footpegs. For some reason this bike is supposed to have black hangers with Kevlar heel pads and titanium or SS fixings. Instead it has silver hangers, carbon heel pads and crappy steel bolts which are corroded and look shit. I've ordered replacement fixings and managed to pick up some mint black hangers on ebay that I'm really pleased with.

Rear view mirrors are corroded. Not big stuff but it detracts from the bike being mint and betrays its age.

Finally sticker on the tank is bubbled and started to lift slightly at the edge;

That's pretty much it, all age related really.

Cheers
Nito
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:03:20 pm by Nito » Logged

FTM
Mega Fud

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:27:06 pm »

I've got the same corrosion on my mirrors and exactly the same bubbling on my tank decals. If the bike has been over then it probably toppled on it's left side as a right side fall will usually leave a little scratch behind the gear lever.
Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:52:11 pm »

Gear lever on left don't you mean brake lever, or opposite side?

There are no marks anywhere, not on frame, exhaust, mushrooms so either it went on top of rider and very lucky to not have touched anywhere else, or the items were swapped to another bike or a mates bike or something, or it was used for track at some point and the bits were swapped for preservation and never refitted, or nicked or who knows?

Is yours a limited with same bubbling on decal?

My first job is to swap the hangers over for the black ones with the correct tapered socket fixings and refit the rear hugger as the screws were so tight that the hex on one of the dome head bolts is messed up. Managed to get it out using an over sized torx bit, so I have new dome bolts for that too. At £135 each I won't worry about the kevlar heel plates for the moment.

I think I'll have a go at the mirrors myself, rub down amd spray and touch up the radiators after getting all the flaking off the end tanks. Same with the frame, just needs a little touch up here and there, just trying to get the correct colour code from Aprilia at the moment, also trying to sort out a sticker but I fear I might need to buy the entire decal set for about £150!!

The bar ends I'll buy new ones about £25 I think, so just the levers left. These are stupidly expensive, like £80 a piece, so again I'll rub the laquer off them if that's what it is and try to polish them up bare, worst case maybe powder coat them and the mirrors.

Cheers
Nito

garry
Proper Fanny

Sir Williams of Bowland

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »

gear lever on left don't you mean brake lever,

maybe ftm has a left hooker happy119
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: