Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/sites/375/b5a/www.tuonoworld.com/web/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Africa Twin
tuonoworld.com
December 13, 2018, 01:37:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plod on gentlemen   yes sir

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Africa Twin  (Read 3549 times)
Aka_Gilo
Proper Fanny

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »

Reminds me of when we were couriers in the 80’s. Most people rode CX500s, GT550s etc, real workhorse bikes, but we’d race any and every other bike we came across on the road. As we used to say, you couldn’t loose. If the other guy got away it’d be “well of course he won, i’m on a CX500 and he’s on a Gixxer (or whatever)”, whereas if we dropped them the victory was that much sweeter for being on an unsuitable bike.

That's the problem with the internet.  No one knows you're a cat.
MagnetMan
Super Fud

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 06:22:06 pm »

I did several years despatching too and it was surprising what you could get a CX500 to do if you had the balls to go for it. Embarrassed many a big bike rider at the time.  big grin1
Aldo
Proper Fanny

Back climbing the Apple Trees.

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:43 am »

aye ken whit ye mean...surprised a few gadgies when Ive whipped past on the Fat KTM wi awe the boxes on.

Aye mucker,,,,they were in the layby taken pics at the time.   happy119

Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 01:36:44 am »

I missed this. Not been a fan of Honda since they peaked in the late 80’s/early 90’s for me, but the Africa Twin was such a cool bike bitd that they were instantly on to a winner. I had a sniff around them at my local dealer and spoke to a chap who was running his in, he’d gone with AT and found not having the clutch lever a little awkward at first but rated it. The guys on pistonheads were raving about some ludicrously good pcp deals one of the dealers had on these before xmas. I’d not seen black before, looks great.

I love the adventure bikes, I find my Capo quicker than the Tuono in some situations where the suspension travel just soaks up our shitty roads and I’m more confident gunning it as its more stable all around. Top boxes are excellent imho and you can definately get away with them on adv bikes, in fact they almost don’t look like proper adventure bikes unless they have got them! I love the convenience of them but I probably wouldn’t fit one to any of the other bikes. That one looks massive in that pic, what size and make is it?

My Capo is running Metzeler Tourance tyres and they have been excellent. Mine are tubeless, no idea if they come in your size. Can you run tubeless on that?

Hyperthrust Cleared and Counting...
Aka_Gilo
Proper Fanny

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »

I agree about adventure bikes N - never had any interest in them as I figured they were the biking equivalent of people who buy Landy Discoveries to use for the school run and trips to Waitrose, but after 2000 miles on the AT I’m a big fan - they are so bloody practical and surprisingly fast with it. The number of times i’ve tensed up when about to hit big pot holes etc, and the bike has just ploughed through with no drama at all.

I went for the manual over the DCT - the box is sweet and the clutch light so it’s fine. Reckon i’ll have arthritis in my fingers as I get older ( my dad had it bad and my fingers get quite stiff at times.... joy) so maybe a DCT box is summat i’ll consider in the future.

The top box is only 42 litres (it’s a Givi) but for some reason it looks massive in photos.  I know what you mean about them suiting adventure bikes, I still shudder slightly when I clock the box, but they definitely look less shit on adventure bikes compared to any other types of bike. It is so bloody handy having a boot on a bike though, and the missus loves the security and comfort it gives her.  Since I bought the AT every weekend she’s saying “where are we going on the bike then?” So on that basis alone it was a bloody good buy (bike and top box!).

The wheels can be converted to tubeless with Outex or similar, but I bit the bullet and bought some new wheels with stainless spokes and ready set up for tubeless; I’ll get some Conti Trail Attack 2’s on the new wheels and stick ‘em on before the Picos.  happy88

Rico
Fuderator

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2018, 11:25:41 pm »

the Contis are very good and ah got 8k oot a rear which is also good considering the amount o loaded twos up stuff ah did.

Ye dinnae like it? Weel jist sook ma root!
Aka_Gilo
Proper Fanny

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 07:44:28 am »

That’s good to hear R.

Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »

I was at the biker cafe on Saturday chatting when an AT pulled up. The guys all started muttering how they've heard Adventure Bikes are the way to go nowadays etc etc. Can't say I disagree, they are the ultimate all rounders with the power and handling they now have with real world ability to deal with our shite roads. They literally will do everything.

Of course, it's nice to have the right bike for the right occasion though (I know how women feel about shoes and handbags now lol!) Smiley

Vinny
Mega Fud

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 04:46:48 pm »

Plus you can pay for the PCP buy delivering take away and pizzas etc ..............once you've fitted the obligatory top box and panniers bash18

And don't forget the handbook on how to become a miserable old git  angry26
Nito
Super Fud

Tuono R Limited

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2018, 07:13:14 pm »

Resist you may...but for how long? ;)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: