Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/sites/375/b5a/www.tuonoworld.com/web/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Normandy beaches
tuonoworld.com
March 20, 2019, 09:00:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Nobs mojo is back  yes sir

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Normandy beaches  (Read 314 times)
OlafTuono
Fud

« on: January 11, 2019, 06:22:16 pm »

I am considering a ride to the Normandy beaches this year, mainly as a history tour over a few days to see where the D-Day landings took place.

Anyone done this before - if so, recommendations for things to see, and also not see would be appreciated.
garry
Proper Fanny

Sir Williams of Bowland

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »

interesting...
Vinny
Mega Fud

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:59:23 pm »

I would recommend Ypres
FTM
Mega Fud

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:03 am »

Ypres is about 150 miles from the Normandy beaches but it is well worth a visit. All those rows of headstones brings a lump to the throat.
Vinny
Mega Fud

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:13:39 am »

Nice ride out dependent on where you decide to base yourself
hector
Super Fud

Blow me !

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:04 pm »

Normandy is WW2 but Ypres is WW1   My interest is WW1 , been there ,done that and got the T shirt BUT always something you`ve missed . There is so much to see , reflect and wonder . How on earth did they cope ?.

Apart from what I think ............. well worth the trip  , just go and enjoy , you will not regret anything  happy88
Evilkneyeball
Mega Fud

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:45 pm »

I've been to the area, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't find it very interesting.
Perhaps if you were really into WW history, or had particular ancestral connections, you might find it interesting, but not for me.
I spent a couple of holidays based on the other side of Normandy near to Coutances cos a mate of mine had a place over there and I also spent a night in Bayeux.
The scenery is nothing special and neither were the towns.
On the upside it's easy enough to get there for a short break, though I much preferred Brittany as a holiday destination.

I'm not really selling this well am I. spok1z
OlafTuono
Fud

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 07:49:12 pm »

I have been to the Calais / Belgium area of France, which as you say included Ypres, the Cambrais tank museum (with the original tank Guy Martins is based on), some V1, V2 and V3 launch sites, Atlantic wall defences etc.  Also Menin Gate, the Somme area, Vimmy Ridge, and several war graves, much of it is very moving and thought provoking.

This trip I am thinking about is a canny trek from Calais and is a separate mini tour.
I was thinking of the ferry to St Malo - then head east along the coast to see the landing beaches, Pegasus Bridge etc,  probably tunnel back.

Some of the museums I have seen to date are good, some not so.
I much prefer the old style layout with less of these I-pad type interactive displays.
wileecoyote
Mega Fud

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:14 pm »

If you go, PLEASE get pictures?  I have studied WW1 and WW2.  I would love to see Normandy.

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius
ACME Race Team, Chief Rider/Mechanic
NO WINS, cant get around them anvils
2002 Aprilia Tuono "Francesca" 2012 Aprilia Tuono "Valentina"
2006 FZ 1   "Mr Masimoto"
2009 FZ 1  "Ms Ono"
1989 FZR 1000  "PITA"
Evilkneyeball
Mega Fud

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:52 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/28/parachutists-to-fill-skies-over-normandy-on-75th-anniversary-of-d-day

Hi Olaf, I saw this in the Guardian today about an event taking place on 6th June in Normandy.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: