tuonoworld.com
January 18, 2022, 01:01:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Be afraid.

Iā€™m back šŸ˜Š

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gday  (Read 1573 times)
beernard
Fudlet

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2021, 08:49:38 AM »

Hi All.

Moving on, I suppose. I have pulled the rear shock in anticipation of fitting a YSS jobbie soon. No go. The suppliers are on holidays for a couple of weeks yet. I applaud that but it doesn't suit me right now!

So, why not stick the old Sachs shock back on? Well, it is minus (however?) its cushion, as you may have seen. It needs one. So I remove the spring. That's great, but how do you get a cushion on the shaft? How do you pull the bottom mount off the shaft?

I saw the grub screw (kinda pictured) and removed it. Now what?

smart goals for gym

url looks weird!!

Maybe a couple of weeks of waiting!

Regards,

felix
Mega Fud

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2022, 10:33:46 PM »

No experience of splitting one of those ... would guess that special tools may be required... dunno if they work on gas or oil so re pressurising may be required ?

One thing I know is that Sachs do build great suspension... alas Aprilia requested a unit built to a price.

I personally wouldn't spend any dosh on refurbishing that unit.

One "cheap" option would be to look for a unit from the RSV it is a slightly better spec and has more adjustment... but against that is that it will be quite old and may need a refurb.

Next option would be a second hand Ohlins .... needs to be the right one and make sure it has been recently serviced ...or buy a "new" aftermarket alternative.

If I could have found my original you would have been welcome to it ... but I genuinely think I must have thrown it out...

what5
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 10:38:10 PM by felix » Logged
beernard
Fudlet

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »

Thanks Felix,

I have followed your good advice and have a new YSS shock on order. Should be back on the road soon.

I have continued to remove, clean and repack the shock links. I wasn't able to move the exhaust enough to remove the front dogbone bolt, so I loosened the rear header nuts instead. They were nice and clean and caused no issue. Bolt out.

best dinner wilmington nc

I will apply some antisieze to the studs as future insurance.

Thanks for your help, Bern.
felix
Mega Fud

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2022, 10:08:38 PM »

I think that is a wise move ....

If you choose to reverse the front dogbone bolt ... this is the "hat spacer" I mentioned that needs to be swapped over" .... not my pic :

As mentioned ....Not Aprilia approved ..

But many have done so ....

Also ....if / when you replace the bearings ... caged bearings are much easier going forward than needle and work jus fine ...

Another thing us brits do is add neoprene washers to to dogbone .. it helps keep the crap out as we have to deal with plenty of rain .. prolly not an issue for you though ... but you still need to strip and grease every year as they do dry out due to the heat from the zorst ...

happy88

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:35:20 PM by felix » Logged
Aldo
Proper Fanny

Brain damaged by apples.

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2022, 12:33:14 AM »

f, I fitted nylon spacers to the dogbone and it worked well inasmuch as it prevented the side plates from grinding against the dogbone.

Also got rid of that once in a while clunk through the footpegs when the assembly realigned itself.

felix
Mega Fud

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2022, 08:37:08 AM »

Ali ..... I too use Nylon washers..... dunno why I typed neoprene ....

smile2

beernard
Fudlet

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2022, 08:25:35 AM »

Thanks again, Felix and Aldo.

You make this adventure a far less stressful escapade.

I will gladly apply your hard-earned knowledge wherever I can.

Regards, Bern.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: