Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/sites/375/b5a/www.tuonoworld.com/web/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tuono known problems/hints/tips.(V Twins 2002-2010)
tuonoworld.com
December 13, 2018, 02:30:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plod on gentlemen   yes sir

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuono known problems/hints/tips.(V Twins 2002-2010)  (Read 82299 times)
flamingbut
Baby Fud

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:51 pm »

Hi Keef B and other readers of this.  I'm desperately trying to get enlightened on Stator burnout issues. I am about to put a new stator in my bike with no idea how long it will last, this is frustrating and strange.....in that you don't need to do this on other bikes, so finding a permanent solution would be great.

You said Keef B in your rave that ....perhaps the magnets in the Rotars were too strong and as such created too much heat.  I have heard this from others as well. The idea of putting the rotar on a lathe and reducing the diameter is an idea that I have had as well, BUT  I have no idea if it would work OR how much to take off it. So the million dollar question is:  Do you know anyone;  OR does anyone in Tuono world know of anyone who has tried this and had success???

Someone in England who has great experience with Aprilas has told me that the 2009 model had a modified Rotar and this rotar did NOT produce too much heat,  however one would have to assume that this modified rotar had a different part number than previous years;  otherwise how would they (being the sellers of parts) be able to identify the updated one?   However after spending hours on many Aprilia suppliers' websites worldwide I have found that the 2009 rotar has the same part number as the 2006-2010,  so it is a crazy mystery to me. 
So if you or anyone else can shed light on this issue or have any other suggestions I would be happy here them.  Thanks in advance to all.  Regards Dex TM   

FTM
Mega Fud

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 08:11:47 am »

Tifa will be along soon to tell you everything you need to know about the rotor.
wileecoyote
Mega Fud

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 08:04:44 pm »

Tifa will be along soon to tell you everything you need to know about the rotor.

He should change his screen nake to Rotorman.............

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius
ACME Race Team, Chief Rider/Mechanic
NO WINS, cant get around them anvils
2002 Aprilia Tuono "Francesca" 2012 Aprilia Tuono "Valentina"
2006 FZ 1   "Mr Masimoto"
2009 FZ 1  "Ms Ono"
1989 FZR 1000  "PITA"
felix
Mega Fud

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 06:14:21 pm »

Hi Keef B and other readers of this.  I'm desperately trying to get enlightened on Stator burnout issues. I am about to put a new stator in my bike with no idea how long it will last, this is frustrating and strange.....in that you don't need to do this on other bikes, so finding a permanent solution would be great.

You said Keef B in your rave that ....perhaps the magnets in the Rotars were too strong and as such created too much heat.  I have heard this from others as well. The idea of putting the rotar on a lathe and reducing the diameter is an idea that I have had as well, BUT  I have no idea if it would work OR how much to take off it. So the million dollar question is:  Do you know anyone;  OR does anyone in Tuono world know of anyone who has tried this and had success???

Someone in England who has great experience with Aprilas has told me that the 2009 model had a modified Rotar and this rotar did NOT produce too much heat,  however one would have to assume that this modified rotar had a different part number than previous years;  otherwise how would they (being the sellers of parts) be able to identify the updated one?   However after spending hours on many Aprilia suppliers' websites worldwide I have found that the 2009 rotar has the same part number as the 2006-2010,  so it is a crazy mystery to me.  
So if you or anyone else can shed light on this issue or have any other suggestions I would be happy here them.  Thanks in advance to all.  Regards Dex TM    

Hey FB

As you have found out ..... the "Cause" of failure is the Rotor - not the stator.
(yeah - the revised 370w Rotor does have the same part number as the 500w one it replaces - typical Aprilia !)

Whichever stator you use (ape or aftermarket)..... it is a lottery how long it will last if used with the 500w Rotor. (my original Ape one lasted 21k, The Ricks one i replaced it with lasted 12k... seams to vary alot on different bikes...)

Ape changed the Rotor mid 2008 on the Tuono - Its not confirmed, but it is "believed" to be fitted to engine numbers 8176929 onwards.

Griff at Aprilia Performance sells the revised Aprilia Rotor + Stator kit - but it aint cheap.

see here :   https://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/generator-flywheel-stator-updated-gen-2.html

Oh..... when you change the stator, make sure you change the oil and filter as it will have fried.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:19:07 pm by felix » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: